After my first attempt, which didn’t turn out exactly right, I am determined not to let these purse thingies beat me. However, I have decided not to squander my supplies of Liberty and linen fabric with quite such gay abandon and am plundering my scrap basket until I am completely confident. (I say ‘basket’ , it is actually a huge old hospital wicker hamper full to the brim!)
So this is my second attempt (well second attempt that was vaguely successful I mean – we won’t count those that have come in between)
What I have found, in the numerous tutorials I’ve looked at, both free and purchased, is that nobody tells you that when you have finished making the fabric part of the purse it doesn’t look as if it is going to fit in the frame. However, when you actually start sewing it in – as it is the ‘sew-in’ frames I am using – it does. Well, usually. Just thought I’d mention this as I trashed a couple of my attempts just because they looked too big to fit the frame.
I was in a bit of a quandary with the colour of thread to use for the stitching on of the frame as the inside lining is red and, on reflection, red thread might have been better but, at the time, that was the least of my worries. Iwanted to get at least one purse right before I go to my little sewing group as I have bought them each a little frame of their own and I need to be able to show them what to do with it. And before you think what an incredibly generous and altruistic person I am – there are only 3 of us in the group so I didn’t have to splash out too much cash and tea and a huge, home-made cake is always provided so I like to make a contribution every now and again without inflicting my unreliable baking skills on them.
Maybe after one more ‘scrap basket’ attempt, I’ll be ready to get out the big guns again.