I know I said that, after my two ‘shades of grey’ quilts, I would be moving on to something more colourful but I’ll just get this out of the way first.
Also, I know I said I had sworn off making dresses for a while but I went upstairs to my workroom yesterday, couldn’t remember why and, before I knew it, decided to make a dress. As I’m sure happens to all of you from time to time. A Lady Skater dress to be precise, several of which I have made before because it is such a good, easy pattern and because I like the style and fit on me and because I had put the radiator on in my workroom for the reason I couldn’t remember and didn’t want to waste the electricity.
I apologise for the headless shot but there are three reasons for this
1) I meant to use a mannequin but, at the last minute (see next reason), I couldn’t and hadn’t done anything with my face or hair since getting out of bed
2) I couldn’t get the dress on the mannequin
3) I don’t like having my photograph taken anyway.
Before I tell you why I couldn’t get the dress on the mannequin, I wanted to point out the good things like the neck laying nice and flat and the really nice fabric so that you don’t think I’m quite such a numpty when I ‘fess up.
As I said, I’ve made this dress several times before for me and for both my Madamoiselles. I meant to make notes but didn’t. This time I have. I must have a shorter waist than this pattern is designed for because the seam at the waist is one or even two inches lower than mine. No matter, I call it a ‘dropped waist’ dress and feel it makes my torso look slightly longer than it is – however, I will remember to adapt the pattern next time so I don’t have to make those excuses! It is quite a short dress and, in order to avoid having to take up a fiddly miniscule hem next time I need to remember to add some length before cutting so as to avoid flashing too much knee on a breezy day.
However, the really stupid thing I did – and it really was stupid – was to put twill tape around the bottom of the bodice pieces instead of clear elastic. Oops! I hate clear elastic and so does my overlocker which is what I used to put this dress together apart from doing the top stitching which I do on my ordinary machine with a double needle. So I used twill tape to stabilise the shoulders which is fine but they don’t need to stretch. Whereas, having no zips, the rest of the dress does. I have to perform wriggles and squiggles and all sorts of contortions my yoga teacher would be proud of in order to get the static waist over ‘the girls’ and down to where it should be. None of my mannequins were able to oblige. So, you got me.
…or most of me anyway.
You can find the Pattern here
The fabric was from this seller who has loads of lovely stretch and knit fabrics.