Remember I told you I was joining in with a CAL (crochet along), where a new section is added each month for twelve months?
Or perhaps you have a life?
Nevertheless, I promised you puff stitch and here it is in the section for June which has been crocheted directly on top of the section for May which is the way of these things I believe.
This is the ‘Sunshine and Showers’ CAL from Jane Crow – first issued monthly in a magazine last year and now available for free on Jane’s blog.
I am still a beginner really so I thought this would teach me some new skills.
This month I learnt how to do flower stems, puff stitch, crochet into front of loop, crochet into back of loop to name just a few thrills and spills. Nobody can say I don’t know how to live.
See the turquoise row? Well that had me foxed because it comes out as a sort of separate strand on the wrong side of the work at first and I didn’t think that was right so I undid it all and tried it a different way which, of course, was wrong. Eventually I found a photograph of the back of the work on somebody’s Ravelry project and realised I had done it correctly the first time. So, it would have been useful to have been given a ‘rear view’ for this particular row in the otherwise very detailed tutorial. Still, I got there in the end and am almost finished the second, identical piece ready to add on the next bit when it is issued next month.
With all these different stitches, colour changes and my inexperience, I am worrying about the edges of the blanket becoming wavy – a problem some other people have mentioned on Ravelry. I know this yarn is acrylic but I’m sort of blocking it as I finish each section – i.e. spraying it with some water and pinning it to size – hoping it will limit the waviness somewhat.
It was my birthday a couple of weeks ago and I had put two crochet books on my list which my daughter obliged me with so look out for amigurumi monsters and faux taxidermy which might, or might not, be flying off my hook some time in the future – although it will probably not be the near future. I am finding the zebra’s head a little intimidating so I might start with the mouse’s head as, with all the cats around here, it shouldn’t be too difficult to find a life model should I need one – although there probably wouldn’t be much life left in it by the time I got to it 😦 Still, they haven’t dragged a zebra through the cat flap yet so I’ll have to make do.
You might remember that I started a ‘fusion’ blanket a while ago which is a sort of fabric/crochet hybrid. Squares of fabric with wadding in between and each square surrounded by a border of crochet. I thought it would be a good portable project to do with my sewing buddy on Wednesday afternoons. I haven’t been doing any of it at home – apart from sewing the fabric ‘sandwiches’ together – saving it for Wednesdays. She however forged ahead without me which is why my work still looks more or less like this……
…..and hers looks like this
This is a proposed layout, just needs whip stitching together then an outer crochet border added. Still, it’s so pretty that it has encouraged me to get on with mine and stop moaning about the splitty cotton yarn I’m using and the 2.5mm crochet hook which both come as a shock after using a 4mm hook and DK yarn on the two other blankets I’m working on.
As a bit of a diversion from all things crochet I had a commission for one of my étui cartonnage boxes but not a hexagonal one this time. A previous client asked me for one of the small boxes I make which was quite a relief as I’ve lost my box making mojo at the moment – I’m sure you know the feeling 😉 . Anyway, her brief was brief but rabbits were mentioned.
So, here be rabbits
with some floral goings on inside
Off to the hairdressers in a minute to ‘have my roots done’ and when you see the photos of me in my next post you will understand why.