Well, it’s the 15th of the month again and time to show you something new made from scraps.
I rather shot myself in the foot this month because I made Wild Daffodil’s Pixie baby hat from leftover yarn but have already blogged about it as I had to send it off to my niece lest she thought I’d forgotten she’d actually given birth a couple of weeks ago.
Anyway, I was looking at my emails this morning and trying to resist a new range of fabrics being touted by a UK fabric shop I’m subscribed to when I noticed they had linked to a tutorial for non-plastic food covers. I must confess that, having bought lots of beeswax and ruined an ironing board cover, I’m not that over the moon with beeswax wraps. You can only rinse them out in lukewarm water, maybe with a bit of washing up liquid but mine at least have started to pong a bit. I don’t use them for meat before you ask and, once rinsed and dried, I keep them in an airtight jar but, to be honest, I don’t like the look of them after a couple of uses and Mr. Tialys hates them and calls them ‘bits of old rag’. I think I might be doing something wrong. I will make some nice candles with the beeswax and use it to wax sewing thread so all is not lost.
So, I made what looks like a shower cap instead.
I picked out a fabric from my scrap bin which, because I’m lazy and couldn’t be bothered to change the thread on my overlocker, is the same sort of colour as the current thread, and dug out a length of some sort of waterproof fabric a friend gave me about ten years ago – probably for lining washbags but the reason is lost in the mists of time.
I laid the two fabrics together and cut out a circle. I told you it wasn’t rocket science.
Then – unlike the tutorial which has you zigzag around the edge of the circles to join them together, then attach elastic around the edge on your sewing machine – I did it with my overlocker using clear elastic through the little slot in the foot I discovered recently which enables you to attach the elastic at the same time as serging the edges. Very useful for stabilising seams when making clothing.
I think the tutorial uses PUL which I know is a sort of plastic but at least it’s not single use so better than cling film. I have absolutely no idea what is in the waterproof type fabric I had in my stash but I daresay it’s nothing good. Still, at least it has now come in useful. I have so many old tupperware type containers and, like a sock and its matching pair, they somehow become separated from their lids never to be seen again.
We’ll see how many times this can go through the wash before Mr. T. declares it ‘an old rag’.
So, nothing exciting today – after all, it’s really just like a big jam pot cover – but I like to keep Scraphappy and next month I have something much more interesting to show you. Well, I probably won’t have actually started on it by then but I’ll show you the plan.
Here’s the tutorial I mentioned in case you want to whip up a shower cap for your bowls and make your fridge look pretty.
Joining in again this month with Kate & Gun’s monthly Scraphappy Day where you too can use your scraps of fabric, yarn, paper, wood, anything to make something useful or lovely or both and show it off to the world. You don’t have to join in every month, only when you have something to show. Details and a list of other participants’ scrappy endeavours over on Kate’s blog.