Another attempt to reduce my fabric stash before I am found buried beneath multiple past purchases and a mountain of ‘to do’ lists.
Almost everyone – in the amateur dressmaking world at least – has probably made a Sorbetto top at some time or another. It’s a free pattern from Colette which is a simple sleeveless top, embellished with a pleat down the centre to give it a bit of ‘je ne sais quoi’.
I have made many and these are just a few that I can find photos for.
This one was made for Mlle. Tialys the Younger, pandering to her liking for things oriental.
This one which might have been some sort of homage to Vivienne Westwood though I doubt it. I just liked the tartan. Actually, I don’t know where this one is. I must have a rummage through my ironing basket where I put ‘stuff for Summer’ at the end of each Summer when I know it won’t be needed again for a while but, because of my tempestuous relationship with the ironing basket, most of the ‘stuff’ never again sees the light of day. ***
The lovely Liberty fabric one where I profited from a short sleeve hack that somebody had been kind enough to work out and put for free online.
Then there was the more recent Broderie Anglaise one with Peter Rabbit trim which I made for Mlle. T. the Elder as half of a pair of shortie P.J.s last Christmas.
So, when I wanted to make a pull on over your head, easy to wear Summer dress with short sleeves (I’d made several such dresses last Summer but sleeveless) I thought I’d try making the Sorbetto top into a dress and I had some of my quilting fabric in mind. I don’t know why I bought so much of this, I usually buy small amounts for patchwork projects, so it must have been on sale or something or maybe I bought it with a dressmaking project in mind. Who knows or dares to dream? Not me. But, no matter, I had it and it needed something doing with it.
I made the bias binding for all of these tops and, although I toyed with the idea of making it in a contrast fabric for this dress, I stuck to using the same one for around the neck and the sleeves. That’s the stuff going through my little bias binding making gadget.
I also toyed with the idea of leaving out the pleat down the centre of the front. I like to toy with ideas, can you tell? Anyway, I reasoned that, without it, it would look just like any old plain, short sleeved dress so I left it in. Now it looks like any old plain, short sleeved dress with a pleat down the front but that’s the look I was going for.
I am all alone at the moment so have no photographer available and, if I can be frank with you, couldn’t be bothered to dig out my remote for the camera, so you’ll have to believe me when I say it looks better on me than on her.
Nothing complicated went on here, I just graded out the pattern slightly from below the waistline to the length I wanted and it worked out quite well. I always scoop the neck out lower too with this pattern as one woman’s scoop is another woman’s high neck.
*** For those of you who care – I just remembered what happened to the tartan top (well it was 2014) and you can read about it here . No wonder I’d wiped it from my memory although I wasn’t far off with my Vivienne Westwood connection. Read it and weep.