I know some of you like to see progress reports for projects and, although it’s something I don’t usually think to do, this jelly roll project is going so fast I thought I would.
I got off to a very rocky start. I followed some advice on a YouTube video to made an oval shape for the centre in order to help make getting round those first few curves a bit easier.
As you can see, it didn’t work for me.
Then, disaster struck and my sewing machine decided it didn’t like doing the zigzag stitch as a zigzag stitch should be done,
I undid it all and started again.
I switched from a walking foot to an ordinary one and cleared the feed dogs of accumulated years of lint and fluff. I suspect it was the latter which proved more helpful but I haven’t bothered to put the walking foot back on anyway.
The ends were still curving up a little so every time the thread breaks (depressingly often) or I haven’t quite caught both sides in the zigzag I steam press the hell out of those curves.
Which seems to have helped.
You must only join the new ‘rope’ from the right hand side or you will end up with a rather large expanse of coiled fabric where there is no room for it. Somebody else did this – and thought to tell us – so we now don’t have to make the same mistake and t will all grow out to the left and on to the raised flat surface you have provided for it.
I know it won’t be perfect in the end – the zigzag still plays up now and then and I managed to get an odd curve in the centre piece – but I’m quite pleased with how it’s progressing.
The thread snapped (again) and, as I’d just started joining the colour change to red, I thought it would be a good time to give it another steaming and take a progress photo.
I think these would make very nice place mats if you didn’t want to go the whole hog and made a rug.
Just as an aside, Dawn asked what Wonder Clips are. I usually use them to hold on the binding of a quilt after it’s been machine stitched down on one side and waiting for me to hand stitch it down on the other.
Like so –
In the rug project I used them to hold the folded length of fabric and batting in place while I fed it into my sewing machine.
Hopefully, the next update will be a finished rug – I’m zipping along with it. Then I can catch up with my knit-along project disturbed only by reaching for another piece of Easter Egg and Mr. Tialys telling me what he’s up to in the garden and what he’s done with the seven or eight bags of potting compost I saw being unloaded from the boot of his car yesterday.
Have a good Easter break wherever you are. x