Posts Tagged free quilt pattern

Adding to Subtract

Still on a (sometime) mission to complete the top of my superking sized quilt from the F2F3 block swap last year, I have at least and at last joined the blocks together with the marbled dark charcoal fabric.  I think the sashing highlights the soft neutrals nicely as well as, now that I look at it, complementing my bed frame.

As you can see, it doesn’t need to be much longer but I want it to come over the sides enough to cover that top mattress.

The bottom mattress is our old one but we haven’t mustered up the will to haul it down the stairway yet and down to the tip or even, as I think is the way it came in, drop it over the balcony.  I feel like the girl in the old story of the Princess and the Pea and, not being 6’4″ like Mr. Tialys, have to slide off the bed in the morning in a particular manner as my feet don’t actually reach the ground.

I’m thinking I’ll do a 3 inch border in the fabric that was second choice for the sashing which I’m auditioning below.

 My question is, do you think I could do the 3 inch border all the way round and then a further, wider (8inch??) border in something plainish on the two sides?  That way, I won’t have unnecessary extra fabric disappearing off the bed at top and bottom.   I know it won’t be symmetrical but does that matter?  Most modern quilts tend to be symmetrical but, when I did a bit of research online, it appears that older quilts were more often made to fit the space they would occupy which seems sensible.

I’m itching to get on with it  because, you know the story, I’ve seen another project I want to get started on. I feel that, by dangling that carrot, I’ll get on and finish the current one sooner rather than later which explains my title, sort of.

So this is the free pattern that caught my eye.  Love the colours, the birds, rabbits and foxes but not so keen on the picture borders and large cornerstones.

This is a free pattern by Lynne Goldsworthy offered on Plush Addict in order, I imagine, to sell the range of fabrics it uses which is Grove by Makower.

I had a cunning plan however.

If I were to buy a couple of the panels used for the centre, I could put some of my stash (above, neatly labelled) to good use.

Which explains my title again, sort of.

The colours are fairly similar.

I have enough of the circular designs panel fabric for cornerstones rather than make the larger ones in the original project and could use my stash rabbits, hares and birds to complete the sides.

What do you think?

I think it could work – I’m talking throw size here not double bed size or anything.

Now the question is, what would I do down those sides?

Most of the folded fabric pieces are fat quarters so I’ve got a fair amount.  I don’t want to do anything too ‘fiddly’ because I want to show off the fabrics   I could probably do a simple pieced back too.

Any ideas gratefully received.

I don’t ask much do I?

Even though, where most of you are concerned, I feel I already know the answer – have you ever used the excuse of buying in a new project in order to spur you on with a current one?

, , , , , , , , ,

36 Comments

Friday Foxes

Remember I asked for some advice as to whether the foxes on the fabric I was using for the baby quilt really had to be upright which meant messing with the layout of the the design?  Well, those pesky foxes have been tamed, turned on their heads, or sides and sometimes even on their feet and have become a quilt for my great niece who is due to make an appearance in June.

These ‘on the washing line’ photos aren’t the best but are to show you the quilt in its entirety.  The sun is so bright again today they look a little bleached out and creased.  Still, here goes.

As you can see, I saw the sense in putting a narrow, plainer border between the centre design and the busy border.

I also used the same fabric for the back around the centre panel I’d already made from the leftovers of the foxy range fabric.  I was quite brave as, although it looks plain white, it does have tiny spots on it.  Brave because I usually try to hide my quilting – be it by hand (rare) or machine – as much as possible and the plainer the fabric the more obvious any mistakes.

I stitched in the ditch and round the borders because I felt it went well with the geometric design and, I cannot tell a lie, because it’s easier.

Here you can just about make out those little spots – even more easily if you double click on it.


I had to put the parasol up in order to get these outdoor sofa photos otherwise there were shadows, bleached bits and all sorts.  This time last year it was almost constantly raining so I’m not complaining.

If you zoom in you can see that those orange and ‘grey’ triangles are not solid colours but orange with white dashes and white with black dashes.

I definitely think the foxes are fine dancing around the quilt and not forced to be upright.  The only thing I’d change would be the colour of the binding as I would have liked to do it in the same orange as the triangles but they are a sort of burnt orange colour and I didn’t have anything in my stash that fit the bill, whereas the white with black flowers was to hand and I am trying to use fabric I already have as much as I possibly can.

I had to miss out the top row in this last photo but it looked lovely draped over the garden gate and the light was just right in this corner of the garden.

I won’t be sending the quilt until the baby is born because I want to put her name and date of birth on the quilt label but, never fear, I have displayed it in the sure and certain knowledge that my niece never has and never will look at my blog.

If you’re at all interested, the pattern I used was a free one I found here.

, , , , , ,

40 Comments