Posts Tagged inlay wood veneer
Everybody loves a box, don’t they? It’s so intriguing to lift the lid and see what’s inside.
I spotted this lovely wooden box with inlay veneer – I think the wood is burr walnut – and once I opened the lid and looked inside – I just couldn’t resist it.
I think it’s quite rare to find one of these sets in good condition and also with all the original tools inside. Love the padded lid with the bevelled mirror – what’s the idea of a mirror in a sewing box by the way?
It needs a bit of a clean but, by and large, it’s in good nick considering its age which I’m guessing might be the 1930s perhaps, maybe a bit older.
As even I am not that old, I can’t identify some of the tools so, in case you don’t have anything better to do on a wintry Sunday, maybe you could help me.
I’ve numbered the tools in the photo below and have filled in the ones I already know – scissors anyone? 😉 – but some of them I have no idea. I think those little spools are maybe boxwood and the tools themselves appear to be some sort of bone.
Any help to fill in the list below would be appreciated.
- This is all metal with a hollow top that unscrews and a hollow tube inside – a retractable pencil?
- A flat tool with cut out shapes at either end – one slightly wider than the other – and a slit at each end.
- A pointy thing that looks like a little awl.
- A pointy thing with a tiny hook at the end.
- A thimble (there are no flies on me)
- Scissors (I’m getting good at this!)
- Needle Holder
- Flat tool with one pointed end and one rounded with a slot.
- A little hook – but what is the proper name/use
- Mini Knitting Needles
- A doubled oval shape which is open ended.
As you can tell, I don’t have many of these tools in my sewing box so although I’ve a vague notion of what some of the unidentified ones are for, I don’t know the proper name or the exact purpose.
By the way, the tray lifts out and there is a storage compartment beneath which holds some pieces of old lace . Lace is something else I know nothing about so there might be another quiz next week 😉