Posts Tagged plaid stretch fabric
I know I’m a bit addicted to making this dress but I have loads of stretch fabrics in my stash and it only takes a mo. Also, this one is for my youngest, not me, and as she refuses to model and it doesn’t fit me I had a good excuse to use the mannequin. I have decided that I’m not totally happy with the way the neck is just turned over on this pattern because it does seem to stretch out a bit as you work on it so, if I make any more in future, I think I’m going to make a neckband as in the Lady Skater dress. This one does actually lay flatter on the neck when it is on a real life person but the mannequin is a little under-endowed in the bosom department so she’s not filling it out adequately. Honest!
I hope you are suitably impressed that I have tackled the tartan again. I made absolutely no attempt to match it this time because I am a stingy, penny pincher who only wanted to buy one metre and was determined to get the dress out of it come what may and I had to do all sorts of tricksy layouts and cutting to achieve it. So, all things considered, I don’t think it looks too out of whack.
Anyway, I must get back to more challenging things with zips and buttons – I feel a bit lazy and my overlocker and I have become inseparable (until it becomes unthreaded and then we have to have words – and they’re not polite ones).
By way of a change I thought I’d make another couple of sewing boxes as my last one was recently packaged up and sent off to the States. I’ve started to make two at once because some of the steps involved need a few hours drying time before I can continue and it seems to make sense. Also, I only make them occasionally and when the mood takes me so at least I end up with two to tide me over until the next time I get sewing box withdrawal symptoms – an actual psychological condition I believe.
I have been cutting out the card shapes today. When I bought the kit for this a squillion years ago, it came with pre-cut card shapes which was a luxury. Now I have to cut my own and it is a bit of a pain. At the moment I have some 3mm card for the exterior which makes for a very good, strong box but I feel I need some sort of power tool to get through it. I used a Stanley knife in the end as my rotary cutter gave up the ghost and had to be passed over each line about ten times before even making an impression.
These are the pieces for two boxes. The same will have to be cut in fabrics and wadding but I shouldn’t need the Stanley knife for that.
I’ve chosen the fabric – unless I change my mind again before the cutting stage – and this one will be good for those who like a cup of tea with their sewing. Hopefully I have enough left of the little buttons fabric for the interior as I used it for my last box so I might have to swap that one for something different.
This one is a linen blend fabric which I actually bought to make a lampshade and then changed my mind. The little scissor fabric will make a nice interior I think.
Actually, now that I’m looking at the photos, I think I might swap the interiors round and have the scissors with the teacups and the buttons with the birds and music.
What do you think?
Dog Collars and Bandanas
- Scraphappy February
- Tight Lipped Tuesday #23
- Further Felting Adventures
- Tight Lipped Tuesday #22
- First Major Finish of 2020 – Nature’s Walk CAL
- First Scraphappy Day Of 2020
- Tight Lipped Tuesday #21
- Another Never Say Never Again Post
- Mostly Shirts And Sharks But Also Some Foldy Things
- The F2F3 Quilt Finally Makes Its Appearance In Time For Christmas
- ScrapHappy Christmas 2019
- A Christmas Dilemma
- A Cautionary Crochet Tale
- Scraphappy Day November – Sort Of
- It’s Blanket Time
- Arts and Crafts
- Crochet Projects
- Dressmaking Projects
- Excuses Not to do the Housework
- freehand machine embroidery
- Interesting Vintage Finds
- Knitting Projects
- Liberty Hatbox Project
- Life in France
- Life in General
- Miscellaneous Crafts
- needle felting
- Patchwork and Quilting Projects – General
- Pets & Problems