Posts Tagged purse making
In somewhat of a coincidence, seeing as my last post was about dogs and teeth, my most recent finished garment that I have got around to photographing, is in a dogtooth check. You couldn’t make it up.
This is another short sleeved Coco dress which I made from a metre of 3.99 jersey I found on Ebay and so the fact that it’s not my favourite of all time, bothers me not at all because it took me a couple of hours from start to finish and, at that price, I can wear it to flit about the house in and be comfy.
There are several reasons it’s not my favourite and one clue is in the above photo where I have hacked the style of the neckline – which should be flat – because, once again, I overestimated my size and made it too big. Then I had to do all sorts of taking ins and faffing abouts to get it to fit me and I ended up changing the shape somewhat. I call them ‘design features’ though others might call them ‘mistakes’.
Also, I think the dogtooth check is one of those fabrics that, from a distance, will just look dull and boring and ‘beige’. Maybe it calls for a belt?
I have cut myself off at the knees as they are not yet tanned and, in fact, looked bluish in this photo so I have spared you the sight.
So, leaving dogs, teeth and
doggy dodgy checks behind, I decided make a bag in a bright and cheerful linen mix fabric.
This is a pattern I bought from UHandbags and it does indeed look quite professional as she promised it would.
The resin handles have something to do with that as well as the super duper foam fusible interfacing she suggests (and sells) which makes the bag firm but still satisfyingly squidgy at the same time.
The tiny seam allowance – 0.5cm – worries me a little but I guess that is to minimise bulky seams as there are two layers of fabric a layer of medium weight interlining and a layer of the foam too. So you just have go be careful there. Also, the thicker the ‘sandwich’ when you poke it into the frame, the better, as it gives those tiny screws something to bite into.
I actually used a linen blend for the exterior and a quilting cotton for the interior and I did have to beef up the edges a bit to get them to stay in the frame. Next time I will use thicker fabric for the exterior and use something like the linen blend for the interior (as was actually suggested in the pattern) and I think this will make it all more manageable and easier to achieve the best possible finish.
It’s a good size bag although, I must admit, the frame doesn’t open quite as wide as I had hoped but then I do like to have a good old rummage around in my handbag which means I like to get practically my whole arm in. This is not necessarily a good thing as all sorts of stuff ends up in the furthest corners of my handbags never to be found again so this might force me to be a little neater.
I am going to send this over to the U.K. for Mlle. Tialys the elder to take to work for a week and let’s see how it holds up on the London Underground, the tram, holding her lunch and generally being ‘used’ for a week or two. If it passes the endurance test, I’ll be making more because I really love the way it looks.
What do you think? Do you like?
Dog Collars and Bandanas
- Tight Lipped Tuesday #28
- Sunday Snow
- Scrapping Scraps
- Talking About ‘Stuff’ – A Moving Story With Some Welcome Diversions
- Keeping On The Right Side Of The Law
- Scraphappy and a Half July
- Two Wooly Collie Crosses
- Scraphappy (birth)Day – June
- Tight Lipped Tuesday #27
- Pooch Portrait Gallery
- Tight Lipped Tuesday #26
- ScrapHappy May
- Stockpiling Summer Dresses in Lockdown
- A Wren’s Nest
- Getting Cross With Cross Stitch
- Arts and Crafts
- Crochet Projects
- Dressmaking Projects
- Excuses Not to do the Housework
- freehand machine embroidery
- Interesting Vintage Finds
- Knitting Projects
- Liberty Hatbox Project
- Life in France
- Life in General
- Miscellaneous Crafts
- needle felting
- Patchwork and Quilting Projects – General
- Pets & Problems