Posts Tagged sew over it
I’ve been busy behind the patchwork block and crocheted blanket scenes with a bit of dressmaking.
I think I showed you my cutting table laid out with some goldy mustard coloured viscosey crepey fabric – stop me if I’m getting too technical. I bought it several years ago and meant to make something with it last autumn when the colour was ‘in’ but luckily, a year later, it still seems to be ‘in’. Not that I particularly care if it’s ‘in’ or ‘out’ but I think it’s a good, autumn colour in any case and I might as well move it out of my stash while the stars are aligned.
I recently bought this ‘Libby Shirt’ pattern from Sew Over It which I thought would work well with this drapey fabric. I usually wear very fitted tops so this boxy shape is a bit of a departure for me but I have identified a gap in my wardrobe for looser fitting blouses. (Mr. Tialys laughed like a drain at the thought I might have a ‘gap’ in my wardrobe because, as far as he can tell, there’s no space in there at all).
I liked the options of having a cropped straight front with slightly longer back or being able to lengthen and slightly curve the front and, in this instance, I went for the latter option. The sleeves are ‘grown on’ so no fiddling about needed there although the cuffs are added separately. The collar is notched and is a partial stand collar and I really like the look of it though, I must confess, the construction was a bit ‘odd’ and I think I had more trouble with it than I had constructing a ‘full’ stand collar in a previous project. However, I have since made a skirt and cut out a different top so the reasons why I found it fiddly are now lost and therefore this observation will be of no help to anybody – sorry! I would say that Lisa of Sew Over It has produced a tutorial to explain the construction of the collar more thoroughly and the additional photographs and more detailed instructions online definitely helped which is good because I will probably make at least one more for next Summer as I have quite a bit of Liberty tana lawn in my stash which would work very nicely with this pattern.
My ‘me’ mannequin (in that it is adjusted to my measurements) is good for displaying the features. I didn’t have the exact same colour of mustard buttons in my stash and couldn’t find any in the shop so went for these lighter ones which I think lifts the expanse of solid mustard a bit. I can always change them later if I spot the perfect ones somewhere, though we all know that’s not going to happen and I’ll never get round to removing the ones I’ve already sewn on. Let’s be honest.
A nice feature on the back of the blouse is the slightly gathered yoke and curved hem.
An action shot – or at least that’s what Stan is hoping it will be once I stop posing, pick the ball up and start playing with him.
Not sure whether Mlle. Tialys the Younger is holding the camera at an angle or the tree is doing a leaning tower of Pisa impersonation but it does appear as if I’m trying to stop it from falling over which might explain my slightly pained expression.
Next up – in the dressmaking category – will be my second attempt at working with corduroy (also ‘in’ this autumn – nobody can say I don’t try to keep up) and, if you remember my previous encounter with said fabric here – an extract from which below – you may wonder why.
Meanwhile, the cutting of the cord – so to speak – had resulted in a black dust that had settled over every single surface in my workroom. It was under my fingernails and on my skin – in the evening when I used a cleanser on my face, the resulting cotton pad gave me a shock until I remembered I hadn’t been toiling up chimney stacks like a female version of Bert in Mary Poppins (although more authentically cockney) but just chancing my arm with black corduroy in my workroom.
So, I re-cut another toile in a cloud of black fibres and it was at this stage, laying the pattern pieces on for a second time, I forgot about ‘nap’ which has resulted in a couple of variations in the shade of black which may or may not be noticeable enough to bother me although Mr. Tialys picked me up on it straight away as men tend to do.
Though it worked out well enough in the end.
Dog Collars and Bandanas
- Pond Life And Other Goings On In The Garden.
- When The Cows Come Home
- Yesterday Was A Good Day
- Tight Lipped Tuesday #33
- Tight Lipped Tuesday #32
- Scraphappy May 2021
- I’m Having a Knitfest
- Tight Lipped Tuesday #31
- Let Agreed
- Scraphappy Day April
- A Saturday Evening Treat And A Project Fail
- An Unexpected Easter
- On a Roll With The Jelly Roll
- Tight Lipped Tuesday Project Progress
- Tight Lipped Tuesday #30
- Arts and Crafts
- Crochet Projects
- Dressmaking Projects
- Excuses Not to do the Housework
- freehand machine embroidery
- Garden and Wild Life
- Interesting Vintage Finds
- Knitting Projects
- Liberty Hatbox Project
- Life in France
- Life in General
- Miscellaneous Crafts
- needle felting
- Occasional Domestication
- Patchwork and Quilting Projects – General
- Pets & Problems