Posts Tagged sewing mistakes
Scraphappy Day has come around very fast this month. I’m amazed how the time has flown considering the restrictions on our movements which I thought would make it drag.
As a result, I was a little unprepared so I’m showing a new version of a project I’ve made several times before, some of which I showed on a previous Scraphappy day. Sorry about that but the timing was good for me as my youngest daughter has expressed an interest in sewing and, although I’m not holding out much hope, I want to encourage it as it’s more useful than some of her other interests.
So, I made her one of my needle books.
I had some of this fabric left from a project I can’t remember making but there were large pieces cut out of it so I know it exists somewhere. The fabric is significant as one of my daughter’s nicknames is ‘Bea’ and the logo for my handmade shop on Etsy is a dragonfly.
The inside lining and pocket are made from a bit of patchwork I had left over from a quilt I made for a baby .
I used some scrap felt for the ‘book’ and thought I’d include these cat themed scissors and heart pin in the package.
Together with a selection of odd buttons, it might give her a bit of a kick start to a sewing future and, if not, well she can pass it all on to her sister who does sew.
While I was in the needle book groove I made another one which isn’t from scrap but I’ve been dying to use this fun Japanese linen blend fabric for ages.
To be honest, this fabric would also be fairly relevant to Mlle Tialys the Younger – but don’t tell her I said so.
EDIT: just showed the second needle case to Mr. T. and he pointed out that’s not how sloths hang 🙃 . Doh! This will have to be a spare needle case for me now. 🙄
Scraphappy Day is organised by Kate & Gun for anybody who wants to make new things from scraps of any kind – doesn’t have to be fabric or yarn. Here’s a list of participants – both regular and occasional – if you want to have a look at the sort of things you can do with scraps.
Contact Kate (first name on the list) if you want to join in.
Kate, Gun, Titti, Heléne, Eva, Sue, Lynn (me), Lynda,
Birthe, Turid, Susan, Cathy, Tracy, Jill, Claire, Jan,
Moira, Sandra, Linda, Chris, Nancy, Alys, Kerry, Claire, Jean,
Joanne, Jon, Hayley, Dawn, Gwen, Connie, Bekki, Pauline,
Sue L, Sunny and Kjerstin
Why make a simple Colette Sorbetto top in just an hour when you can spread it out over several?
This is how you do it.
- Take a failed skirt project – a Zinnia since you’re asking – ignore the beautifully done, probably never to be repeated, invisible zip insertion and attempt to cut out a new pattern from the salvaged fabric.
- Remember the reason the original skirt failed was your inability to match the plaid but continue regardless, confident you will not make the same mistake twice.
- Cut out two fronts by mistake.
- Manage to salvage a back but in two pieces instead of one and about 3 inches too short
- Find some toning fabric to make the back pieces long enough and try to make it look like a design feature.
- Fail to match the plaid on the back and one side but it’s either carry on or bin it.
- Make your own bias tape.
- Attach the bias tape to one armhole, do it wrong and unpick it.
- Realise you didn’t do it wrong after all and re-attach it.
- Wonder if you could enter it in Sew2Pro’s homage to Vivienne Westwood competition as it is tartan and non-conformist.
- Wonder if you should enter the next Great British Sewing Bee.
- Resign yourself to wearing it only with a cardi or jacket over the top.
Come to the awful realisation that, despite the front being cut on a fold and therefore must surely match, the pleat throws the pattern out again. Definitely one for wearing out in the garden with a pair of shorts and chalking up to experience.
At least it’s Easter so I can console myself with chocolate.