Posts Tagged using up stash fabric
I haven’t made an actual pledge or promise but I am really trying to use my current fabric stash for sewing projects before buying anything new. It’s not always going to be possible – I recently ‘had’ to buy some rigid denim for example – but I’m trying. I really do believe I have fabric supplies beyond life expectancy and that’s not a sensible place to be. I don’t want to posthumously entertain the executors of my will by listing the beneficiaries of various fat quarters, jelly rolls and assorted yardage but, on the other hand, I don’t want all the lovely fabrics I’ve collected to be cast, like pearls before swine, on the undeserving or, worse, the unappreciative. Does that make me a bad person?
Anyway, while I’m still breathing, I have made a start by using some fabric I bought either from a charity shop or from somebody’s general clear out – I don’t remember now – I’ve had it a while.
The pattern is a French one called Dorothie from a company called ‘Slow Sunday Paris’ . I was reading a post from a blogger I follow who, despite not speaking or reading any French, had a delve into what the French Indie pattern designers have to offer.
As I’ve lived in France for 14 years, I felt a bit ashamed because, apart from ‘Deer & Doe’ who offer their patterns in both French and English, I had never bothered to look at any others, although I have made the odd thing from French magazines. ‘Slow Sunday’ do now offer a few of their patterns in bilingual versions but this isn’t one of them (yet).
So, here is my ‘Dorothie’ in stash fabric which, coincidentally, happens to be in an ‘on trend’ colour.
I love those sleeves, they’re just that bit different – not too floofy but a nod to the current trend for a bit of a ruffle.
I also like the way the collar sits and the pleats beneath the front yoke are another nice detail.
The sleeves are set in with just a little floof and the back yoke also has a few pleats for interest. The slightly longer and curved back hem is just the right length – on me anyway – and I like the little slits at the sides too.
The buttons were also from my stash so, as you can tell, I’m feeling pretty happy….
……especially as those tiles have finally been grouted in . This bathroom project has, for various reasons, been a very long one and it’s not finished yet.
I really like this pattern and will be making another one in the fullness of time – from stash fabric of course.
If you like the pattern and don’t read French – never fear – what has been done by others was to buy the PDF version and cut and paste the instructions into Google Translate et voila!