Although I can’t say I have used up all (or much) of my dressmaking fabric stash, at least I’ve had a go this year and here are two more dresses which at least are more useful than metres of fabric in a cupboard.
I didn’t like the ‘Stevie’ dress pattern from Tilly & the Buttons when I first saw it as it’s a boxy sort of shape with a high neck (both things I don’t like on me) but, when there was a 20% off sale, I suddenly felt more drawn to the fact that it is quite a quick make with no zips or buttons and ‘grown on’ sleeves – i.e. no fiddly setting in of sleeves into armholes.
I also really like that back yoke detail. You can swap the bow out for a button and loop if you want.
So, I made two.
The first one is made from some double gauze fabric which I’ve never sewn with before and, despite being made from two thin layers of fabric stitched together – double gauze fabric, not the dress – it is very light and comfortable to wear.
The hem was an abomination and I have re-done it since these photos were taken. I blame the nature of the fabric because I can’t possibly blame myself.
Double gauze is quite a ‘floppy’ fabric so the bow feature on the back works quite well here.
I made the second version using some fabric which has a sort of linen texture to it – or maybe barkcloth? – and also has a bit of stretch although it’s very stable and I think I bought it to make some trousers. Ask me why. I don’t know because I’m not really a ‘flowered trousers’ type of person but I think it was when I was experimenting with trouser making and fancied something with a bit of a summery feel. Anyway, I came to my senses and used it for this dress instead.
Being less drapey it gives the dress more shape which is fine because it looks very different from the first version.
However, in this fabric, the boxy shape is more apparent and the bow isn’t as floppy as I’d like so I probably should have used the loop and button for this one.
So I tried it on back to front in an unintentional pattern hack which did away with the high neck I’m not overly keen on
and it appears to fit exactly the same
which is strange but I’m not complaining.
On the other hand I might have to have a word with my photographer as he has included dogs, dead plants, parasol poles and all sorts in these photos. I did disturb him whilst he was having a quiet moment with a glass of some home brew (also in the photo!) so I suppose I shouldn’t complain.
That will be all my summer makes for this year now using stash fabric. I’ve made ‘a little top’ by hacking that old favourite the ‘Sorbetto’ but it’s not been photographed yet and, anyway, I did buy a metre of something called ‘dobby’ to make that so it doesn’t count as a stashbuster.
I’ve cut out a shirt for Mr. Tialys in some Liberty tana lawn (above) and will concentrate on that next, going slowly, step by step, because I’m using a ‘new to me’ pattern from Liesl & Co called the ‘All Day Shirt’ and I’m determined it will be gorgeous enough – and fit him well enough – to wear to the office without shame or embarrassment.
Hopefully, it (if not he) will look something like this
I’ll let you know how I get on.